Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Rather Significant Birthday

Oh my...I've really neglected this blog. Life has been hectic since the end of the school year.

This past weekend I was able to celebrate a rather significant birthday with about 100 of my friends and family. That significant birthday was the big 5-0. I don't feel 50...I'm not the judge of whether or not I look 50, but I hope that I don't. I really can't believe that I'm this age. But...I have to say that this was probably my best birthday ever. I had many of my favorite people around me including former and current students, friends from church, kids and parents from my children's choir, and a few family members who made the trip from Kansas City, Wichita, and Phoenix, Arizona.

In some ways, I really didn't want to make a big deal about this birthday. There are people who believe that I'm too old to adopt a child, much less a young child. There are some that don't understand why I want to adopt, and have not been terribly supportive. There are people that NEVER bring up the subject of adoption which is troublesome for me because my future daughter is at the center of my life. I already feel like I have relationship with her....I pray for her daily even though I have no idea who she is, or whether or not she has been born. I think of her constantly, and think about how she (Caroline) will give my life new meaning.

When Mom sent out the invitations, she stipulated that no gifts were necessary. But, we both decided that people will bring gifts anyway, so why not suggest that people could donate to the adoption fund. This would take care of the question, "what kind of gift should we get?".....making it much easier to just give a small amount of money. I was blown away by the generosity and support of those that gave monetary gifts.....amazing. They wrote words of encouragement in cards. This means so much to me. Thank you to all that were so kind and generous. I appreciate it more than you could possibly know.

Now, I guess I'll look for mail from the AARP.....looking forward to that 'senior' discount. They say that '50' is the new '40.' And, I'm told that the 50's are much better than the 40's. So, that's the plan. I definitely don't feel 50.....they say that 50 is just a number. So my age will not define me. My faith, attitude, and actions will define me.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

When we were students at IWU, Eric used to get mail from AARP all the time as if he were able to take advantage of their offers. We had a great time seeing you, and the party was great! I'm so glad that we were invited and able to celebrate with you! We'll be looking forward to seeing you again this fall!

Sheri said...

Hah! I turned the big 51 on 23 June!! My daughters from China are 4 and 5.5 - and I most certainly don't "feel" 50... especially when I'm with them!! I, too, was offered another child (actually a sibling pair) whilst waiting for my first daughter from China. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made, to turn down that offer... to deny those precious children (who were probably never adopted - Krasnodar shut down shortly thereafter to internatinal adoptions) a chance at a family... but I was just so very very sure my daughter was in China. And - she was. She was abandoned the EXACT SAME DAY that, half a world away, I met with an RE... and then went home determined to adopt a child. I still think about Yanna and Sergei... and wonder... but I know in my heart I made the right decision for me. Best of luck - I look forward to following your blog to your Caroline!!

McMary said...

Happy Belated Birthday. You are as young as you feel.